Croatia is one of the most attractive destinations in the world. It is known for its beautiful beaches, lush forests, modern infrastructure, and affordable living. Croatia also hosts locations where parts of Game of Thrones, one of the most popular series in the world, were filmed. Therefore, the Croatian digital nomad visa is one of the most sought.
A digital nomad is a remote worker that travels to different locations and works in shared working spaces, coffee shops, or even libraries while relying on digital devices and wireless internet. If you plan on exploring Croatia as a digital nomad, you can take advantage of this visa. The visa applies to people who want to work remotely in Croatia for up to a year. However, before applying for the visa, there are some requirements set by the Croatian government that you must meet. Keep reading to find out what these are. We’ll give you a sneak peek: insurance!
Requirements for a Croatian digital nomad visa
Applying for a Croatian digital nomad visa is not too hard. This is especially the case if you have all the requirements. Firstly, before applying for a Croatian digital nomad visa, you must submit the following documents:
- Valid passport: You need a passport. The passport must be valid for at least three months after your Croatian digital nomad visa expires.
- Application form: You also need a printed Croatian digital nomad visa application form. You can fill out the form on the Croatian Embassy website or the Croatian Ministry of Interior. Alternatively, you can download the A1 application form from the websites and visit the Croatian Embassy for an in-person application.
- Proof of sufficient monthly income: Prove that you earn a sufficient monthly income. The income must come from a company registered outside of Croatia. Your monthly income should be at least 2,300€/month. Your proof of income can be a bank statement. If you plan to bring your family with you, you must show proof that you have an extra 90€ every month. This proves that you can support yourself during your stay.
- Clear criminal record: You can get a certificate that proves that you have a clear criminal record from your home country.
- Health insurance: You need health insurance that is valid in Croatia for the entire length of your stay.
- Temporary Croatian address: You need to prove that you have secured accommodation in Croatia. You can do this by submitting a confirmed booking or rental agreement with a Croatian landlord.
Besides the documents above, you must have the necessary documents to prove that you are not a citizen of any EU or EEA country for the biometric residence card.
How to apply for the Croatian digital nomad visa?
Once you have all the above documents and requirements, you can go on to apply for the digital nomad visa. You can either apply for it online through the Croatian Embassy website or visit the Croatian Embassy for an in-person application.
If you choose to apply via an in-person application at the Croatian embassy or consulate, this is what you must do:
- Fill out the A1 application form. This form is available for downloading on the Croatian embassy or Croatian Ministry of Interior websites.
- After downloading, fill out the form, and prepare the required documents. It is worth mentioning that you must provide all the necessary documents if you do not want your application to be rejected.
- Next, submit the completed application and the required documents at the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Croatia. You can schedule an appointment with the embassy or the consulate during which you must submit the completed application.
From there, all you can do is wait for 30 days. If your application is approved, you will receive an envelope or phone call.
If you choose to apply for the digital nomad visa online, you should follow these steps:
- Go to the Croatian embassy or the Croatian Ministry of Interior website and fill out the application form
- Submit the online application as well as the necessary documents
Once the application is approved, you will receive an email
After entering Croatia, you must register your temporary residence within three days.
How much does it cost?
Applying for a Croatian digital nomad visa is not free. If you choose to apply at the embassy, it will cost you around 60€.
However, if you choose to complete the application online, you will have to cover these costs:
- 45€ administrative fee for the biometric residence permit
- 30€ for the residence permit
- 60€ for urgent issuing of the residence card
You can also apply for a visa at a local police station in an emergency situation. In this case, you will incur the following charges:
- 45€ for a temporary visa
- 10€ administrative fees
- 30€ for a residence card
- 60€ for the urgent issuing of the residence card
What are the benefits of this visa?
Thousands of foreigners choose Croatia as their destination for digital nomadism. This is because of the numerous benefits of being a Croatian digital nomad. These benefits include:
- No taxes: As a nomad with a Croatian digital nomad visa, you do not need to pay income tax for your work. However, this does not exempt you from paying taxes in your home country.
- Fantastic weather: You get to enjoy the warm Croatian weather during summer and cool weather in winter.
- Great Internet connection: A good and stable Internet connection is vital for any digital nomad. Croatia guarantees an excellent internet connection. Therefore, you can work from almost anywhere.
- No language barriers: Most of the Croatian locals can speak English. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about a language barrier with the people you encounter.
- Safety: Croatia is a generally safe country. The U.S. gave it a level one rank on safety. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about your physical safety as a digital nomad in Croatia.
- Affordable cost of living: The cost of living in Croatia varies depending on where you live and your daily needs. Regardless, the costs of groceries, transportation, and accommodation costs in Croatia are quite affordable.
- Numerous places to visit: Besides working, you also get to enjoy countless attractive tourist destinations, like museums, parks, and historical monuments.
- Friendly locals: Croatians are very friendly people. So, you will have an easy time making new friends during your stay in Croatia.
EU Countries with digital nomad visas
Besides Croatia, several EU countries offer digital nomad visas to foreigners that meet the set qualifications. Some of the best European countries with digital nomad visas that you can visit when you leave Croatia are:
- Portugal: This country has a mild climate, beautiful beaches, and an affordable cost of living. All these make it an excellent option for freelancers. The country offers a laid-back lifestyle, a welcoming community, and a growing start-up scene. Its cost of living is 1,000€ – 1,500€ a month. Freelancers can apply for a D7 visa.
- Greece: This is a hotspot for digital nomads because of its low cost of living, attractive environment, rich culture, and fantastic cuisine. Applicants must prove that they are digital nomads and work remotely. They also must have an employment contract with a company outside Greece and earn a monthly salary of at least 3,500€. The visa lasts for one year but is renewable.
- Czech Republic: The Czech Republic is famous for its charming towns, medieval architecture, and beer culture. You will enjoy a high quality of life, a well-developed infrastructure, and a low cost of living. These features attract international talent. It has a long-term visa for freelancers and the cost of living is between 1,200€ and 1,800€ a month.
- Estonia: Freelancers love Estonia for its cutting-edge technology, efficient public services, and modern infrastructure. Besides, it offers a thriving start-up scene where you can find a supportive community. Estonia’s cost of living is between 1,200€ and 1,500€ a month. It offers e-Residency visas to freelancers.
- Germany: Germany is home to several thriving tech hubs, including Berlin and Munich, and offers a stable and dynamic work environment. The country has an excellent infrastructure, a high standard of living, and a focus on innovation, all of which make it a popular choice for digital nomads. Germany offers a freelance visa to remote workers, with a cost of living raging between 1,200€ and 1,800€ a month.
- Spain: Spain is famous for its sunny beaches, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine. The country offers a high quality of life, a diverse range of co-working spaces, and a supportive community of remote groups. It offers a digital nomad visa to foreign freelancers and its cost of living is 1,200€ – 2,000€ a month.
- Iceland: This country has awe-inspiring landscapes, a high standard of living, and a strong focus on environmental sustainability. It offers a peaceful and creative environment, fast internet, and a welcoming community. The cost of living here is quite high at between 2,000€ and 3,000€ a month. Freelancers get a Residence Permit to work in the country.
- Italy: Italy is renowned for its art, architecture, rich history, and world-class cuisine. The country offers a rich cultural experience, a relaxed and welcoming lifestyle, and a thriving start-up scene in cities like Milan and Rome. You need an Elective Residence Visa to work here. The cost of living is between 1,200€ and 1,800€.
- Malta: This English-speaking country has a sunny climate, a relaxed lifestyle, and a welcoming community, which makes it an excellent choice for digital nomads. The country offers fast internet, a diverse range of co-working spaces, and a supportive community to get you moving. Malta offers a Nomad Residence Permit for foreign remote workers and the cost of living is between 1,000€ and 1,500€ a month.
You should check out one of the articles we have written about the best cities for digital nomads in Europe.
Don’t travel without your insurance
Something you should never neglect when traveling or living abroad is your health. Insuring your health is critical. For this reason, one of the mandatory requirements for applying for a digital nomad visa is proof of medical and travel insurance.
Heymondo Long Stay Travel Insurance is the perfect option for a digital nomad. This insurance covers all medical expenses during your stay in a foreign country. It also includes protection for lost or stolen luggage. Therefore, this coverage will give you the peace of mind to live and enjoy staying in a foreign country.
You can tailor your policy to suit your specific needs. For instance, you can customize the amount of medical coverage you need, choose additional coverage for high-value belongings, or add extra coverage for extreme adventure. This travel insurance also offers 24/7 assistance and customer support via our APP. Therefore, you can rest assured that you can access assistance at any time if you need it.
You can purchase the policy for up to a year. this makes it one of the most flexible options for digital nomads that travel for extended periods of time.